Most die cutting machines are made for both rookies, and veteran hobbyists alike. Given that fact, there are still some machines on the market that would be more suited for someone just getting started—for example, a die cutting machine with an included kit, so you have everything you need to get started without the confusion of ordering extra parts. Whichever way you choose to go, there is definitely a die cutting machine for you.
Best Die Cutting Machines for Beginners
Here are our reviews for the best die cutting machines for beginners
A smaller, more compact model of the Sizzix 660340, this die cutting machine is easy-to-use for both beginners and experts alike. Similar to the Sizzix 660340, this machine is fully compatible with the entire Sizzix product library, excluding Bigz Plus and Bigz Pro dies.
- Best value of the Big Shot series
- Embosses and die-cuts a wide rang of materials up to 6” wide.
- Easily transportable, weighing in at 7.5lbs.
The Bira Craft Die Cutting & Embossing Machine comes equipped with an innovative, height adjusting gear system, easily allowing its user to complete any project, large or small. Small and compact, you can take this die cutter anywhere you go.
- Easy fold-up, compact design
- Foldout platform that doubles as a storage box for Knick-Knacks and small tools.
- Compatible with all leading brand, acid etched and steel-rule dies.
The Bira Die Cutting & Embossing Starter Kit is a perfect choice for any beginner. Coming complete with 8 cutting dies, one steel-ruled die and 8 cardstock sheets, you’ll have everything you need to get started, with no additional purchases.
- Adjustable gear system means this machine can handle any project, big or small
- Compatible with all leading brand embossing folders, steel-rule dies and acid etched dies.
- Money-back guarantee if not satisfied
The Vagabond Electric Die Cutting Machine takes simplicity to a whole other level; all cutting is done via the push of a button. Compatible with the Sizzix Bigz library—one of the biggest in the market—, this machine’s creative pursuits are endless.
- High-quality design featuring an industrial strength motor and metal gears.
- Compact design, perfect to take with you anywhere you go.
- Strong motor and blades means you can cut any multitude of materials.
Perfect for a multitude of crafts, the NURXIOVO Manual Die Cutting Machine comes complete with a foldable work area and built-in storage compartments so you don’t have to worry about misplacing any dies or tiny knick-knacks.
- Comes with 10 sheets of designed card paper, two cutting pads, one platform and 8 cutting dies—everything you need to get started.
- Foldable work area and handle for easy storage
- Lightweight and easy to transport
Die Cutting Machines for Beginner’s Buying Guide
The above die cutting machines are considered to be suitable choices for beginners based on their simplicity, price, quality and features. All of the die cutters listed come with the basics and can be set up and operated with little effort—a few machines come complete with start-up kits that will have any novice creating high-quality crafts in no time. This buyer’s guide is here to help you along your way to entering the exciting world of die cutting.
Manual vs. electronic die cutting machines
Electronic cutting machines can be very challenging for beginners. Software installations and complicated, precision technology can be very overwhelming for any novice. For this reason, a manual die cutting machine is highly recommended for your first purchase.
Manual Die Cutting Machines
Manual die cutting machines are easy to operate, using a hand crank to pass your selected material and dies through the rollers to create beautiful and precise cuts. These machines are perfectly capable of handling all sorts of projects and material with ease.
Machines that are sold with starter-kits included are a great option for any beginner. Keep an eye out for these kits when making your first purchase. Complete with everything a beginner needs to get started, these kits come with anything from materials, dies and embossing folders to instructional DVD’s and design libraries.
Compact die cutting machines
A compact die cutting machine is highly recommended for beginners. When not in use, these machines can be folded up and stored easily. As with any new hobby, size is not everything; start small and if die cutting turns into a serious hobby, consider an upgrade in the future.