Dies come in all shapes and sizes: from animals and flowers to unique letters, numbers and patterns. Thin dies are perfect for projects using delicate materials such as paper, cardstock, foil and vellum. On the other hand, thick dies are stronger and are designed to cut more durable materials such as leather, craft metal, rubber, felt and fabrics—to name a few. Because the possibilities are truly endless, we have compiled a list of some of the most recommended, quality and all around fun dies the market has to offer.
Best Metal Dies for Die Cutting Machines
Here are our best metal die reviews.
This spooky metal die set is perfect for any Halloween enthusiast. Great for cutting delicate material, use them to create cards, treat bags and even design your very own Halloween decorations.
- Compatible with all Big Shot machine models by Sizzix
- Variety of shapes and sizes for projects big and small
- Designed especially for paper craft
These Gadget Gear metal dies are thick and can cut almost any material. These are some of the biggest metal dies available; use them to make larger-than-life designs.
- Compatible with BigKick and Big Shot die cutting machines amongst others.
- Wide size offers more design options
- Cuts anything from cardstock to craft metals
With spring right around the corner, these metal dies are perfect for celebrating the new season. Create gardening-themed cards and decorations with this 23-piece set of dies.
- Cuts intricate designs into paper, foil, vellum and other delicate material.
- Compatible with a wide variety of Sizzix die cutting machines and other brands.
- Ideal for lovers of the outdoors
Use these fancy, capital letters of the alphabet for card making, scrapbooking and invitations. Perfect for creating unique, handcrafted gifts for friends and family.
- Perfect for paper, cardstock, foil and more
- Compatible with a variety of Sizzix die cutting machines and other brands.
- Thin and sturdy
This 13-piece, metal die set is great for cutting windows in cards, boxes, bags and scrapbook pages. Use the fun travel stamps —with travel phrases— to bring life to your travel-themed scrapbook.
- Quality, wafer-thin, acid etched dies that are built to last
- Zero interference from ridges at the edge of the die opening
- Compatible with all Big Shot, Vagabond and BigKick die cutting machines.
Metal Die Buyer’s Guide
As mentioned above, different types of dies are used depending on the project and the material to be cut. Other than that, the selection process is really up to you. Be sure to ask yourself the following questions when making your purchase: what type of material am I working with? Is this metal die compatible with my die cutting machine? What type of design do I want to make? Other than that, it’s completely up to you. Our buying guide is here to help you select the best metal dies for any occasion.
Dies consist of a vast multitude of metal shapes, complete with sharp edges to cut into the selected material—just like a cookie cutter.
These heavy-duty dies are made for cutting thick material such as fabric, rubber, leather, craft metal and much more. They are sharp and come protected via foam or plastic. Because of their durability, they are also able to handle multiple cuts at once.
Thin metal dies
These dies are not as sharp as the steel-rule dies and therefore are not suitable for heavier materials. These dies are more suitable for delicate materials such as foils, paper, cardstock and ribbon.
Shapes and sizes
Dies come in an unlimited amount of shapes and sizes. From numbers, words, letters and phrases to dragons, dinosaurs and virtually anything else you can imagine.
Make sure to carefully read the fine print to make sure that any additional dies you are considering purchasing are compatible with your die cutting machine. There are a lot of brand names out there and some dies are made specifically for certain machines.